Monday, July 21, 2008

Monday ..

I cant say I wasnt expecting something. It is, after all, a Monday. And Mondays tend to be very bad to me. Maybe it's my karma or some shit like that. I was actually waiting to see what this particular Monday would throw at me.

I guess I got my wish.

It was an incredibly hot blazing day. Without a single cloud in the sky. The morning went well enough, despite the tremendous traffic I managed to get into the office early. And I even managed to get some work done BEFORE Monday decided that enough was enough.

I had just stepped out of my client's office. The time then was almost 0100pm. I walked briskly through the dusty noisy traffic, headed directly for my car, anticipating the cool blast from the air-con as soon as I got in.

And my car wouldnt start.

I turned the key over and over again ... no luck. It was as if the battery wasnt there. So, I got out .. opened up the hood and peered in .. yeah .. the battery's still there .. so why wont it start? Maybe the battery's dead. But that's not possible as I just changed it about 6 months ago ..

Believe me, I did everything possible to try and get the bloody car to start. I cajoled it. I pleaded with it. I sang to it. I cursed it. I would have even gotten out and down on my knees to beg it to start except that it would not have accomplished anything except to make me look like an even bigger arse that I looked like then ( hey it was hot and I was sweating like a pig, ok? )

Well, since all else failed I had to turn to the only person I believe would be able to help ... my mum? Of course not la .. I called my mechanic .. and he suggested that perhaps the battery was dead ( ooh thanks, Enstein .. I would NEVER have thought of that .. sheesh ) .. so I had to unbolt the bloody battery and haul it over to a nearby shop to charge it ...

Two hours later the shop informed me that it should be charged enough for my car to start. Ok .. hauled it BACK to my car and bolted it back on. And whaddaya know .. it DID start!

But I guess Monday didnt have enough yet ... cos after 3 minutes in traffic .. the car died .. AGAIN. I wasnt gonna unbolt that bloody heavy piece of shit and haul it over to the shop again, so I did the next best thing. I called Jack.

And so Jack arrived an hour later with heavy duty cables and basically jump started my car. And I found that by keeping my foot on the gas I could keep the engine running .. so with Jack as company I headed to my mechanic ( Mr Enstein ) in Subang.

On arrival the mechanic tested everything ( alternator, battery, cables, bla-bla-bla ) and promptly declared that the source of all my troubles was just my battery leads being covered in grime, thus preventing contact and causing the car NOT to start. He just cleaned the leads with some sandpaper and presto! the car purred to life ...



I hate Mondays.

No comments: