Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Bikes ....

You know, with the rising price of fuel ( did someone say that it's going up ... again? ) I've been looking at an alternative form of transport where the only fuel that gets burnt is my spare tyre .. and it got me thinking ..

Bikes, or in my case .. bicycles .. these days have certainly made tremendous advances in designs and specifications. I mean, like .. wow .. they look better and seat better and .. hold on a sec .. ONE thing hasnt changed .. as far as I can see ..... and this is my question ...


Why does the boys' bikes have a bar between the seat and the handlebar, and the girls' bikes have a V?

Isnt that backwards?

You would think that the boys' bikes would have no bars. If you happen to fall off the pedals going over a bump, at the very least your family heirlooms wont say an immediate hello to a piece of iron. ( and I think most of us have said hello to a piece of iron at one time or another, right? )

Of course, if a guy were to fall off a girls' bike and didnt have a piece of iron to stop him ... hmmm .. I guess he'd fall down and have his privates mashed on the crank pedal and his face dragged on the tarred road.


Maybe the bar isnt such a bad idea after all.

But if the girls' bike had a bar she would have to step over it and any guy would probably be waiting directly behind to try and get a cheap shot. You know I'm right.

But with the price of petrol nowadays, I guess it wont be too long before the general public will start to take up cycling as a cheaper alternative to transportation ( where applicable, that is ). Just watch out for that bar !!

No comments: